Within 5 miles of Monxton
- Finkley Down Farm Park – 01264 352195 (Open March to November)
- The Hawk Conservancy, Sarson Lane, Amport: – Internationally-known centre for breeding endangered predators.
- Museum of Army Chaplaincy, Amport House
- Thruxton Race Circuit, Thruxton: Thruxton is the UK’s fastest circuit, and is located adjacent to the A303, 5 miles west of Andover. There are regular race meetings throughout the year – such as touring car championships, superbike races and truck racing! The Motor Sport Centre operates three principal activities – a Motor Racing School, a state-of-the-art Karting Centre, and a very demanding 4×4 facility. There is also the option of various supercar experiences, and The Arrows Acrobatic Aircraft Experience based at Thruxton Airfield.
- Museum of Army Flying, Middle Wallop: The middle of three villages strung out along the valley of the Wallop Brook, a tributary of the Test, Middle Wallop became famous during the Battle of Britain, when the nearby airfield was the base for squadrons of Spitfires and Hurricanes. Many of the old buildings have been incorporated into the Museum of Army Flying. The museum is filled with one of the country’s finest historical collections of military kites, gliders, aeroplanes and helicopters as well as imaginative dioramas and static displays tracing the development of army flying from pre World War I to today.
- Danebury Iron Age Hill Fort, nr Stockbridge: This Fort was home to about 300 people and is a fine example of a Celtic settlement. The earthworks, ditches and banks were excavated over a period of years to give us a detailed view of life more than 2,000 years ago. One of the finest Iron Age hill forts in Hampshire. Pleasant walks and fine views across attractive countryside.
- Tree Runners, Harewood Forest, nr Andover: Forest fun for everyone. Tree Runners the UK’s most exciting high ropes course and was created by one of the leading high ropes course constructors in the world.
- The Museum of The Iron Age nearby in Andover (Church Close).
- Longstock Water Park, Longstock, nr Stockbridge: Three miles north of Stockbridge, these gardens are part of the John Lewis estate. Seven acres of woodland and water gardens, landscaped into ponds, stream and islands with flowers, ferns and aquatic plants.
- Project Workshops, Lains Farm, Quarley: A vibrant centre for visual arts and home to over a dozen artists who create a unique range of sculpture furniture, ceramics and glassware. Visitors are welcomed by appointment only although open weekends happen twice a year..
Within 10 miles of Monxton
- Houghton Lodge Gardens & Hydrponicum, Houghton, nr Stockbridge: Houghton Lodge Gardens and Hydroponicum is a haven of peace beside the tranquil beauty of the River Test. There are wonderful views from higher ground over the informal landscape surrounding the 18th century Cottage Ornee. Rare chalk cob walls enclose ancient espaliers, greenhouses and a herb garden.
- Bentley Wood, between West Tytherley and Farley – 665 acres of woodland. An SSSI for its rare butterflies. In spring, the bluebells are amazing!
Within 15 miles of Monxton
- Mottisfont Abbey, Mottisfont, nr Romsey (National Trust): This National Trust property is a country house converted from an Augustinian Priory set on the River Test. The walled garden has the national collection of old-fashioned and species roses and is truly stunning during the rose season (June). There are often open-air theatre and summer events.
- De Borbach Chantry, West Dean, Nr Salisbury
- Romsey Abbey A wonderful Romanesque church in the middle of this small traditional market town.
- Salisbury Cathedral (NT) The tallest spire in England. Magna Carta in the Chapter House. Mompesson House (NT) in the Cathedral Close.
- Old Sarum. Ancient site of original Sarum Cathedral. (English Heritage)
- Stonehenge …
- Winchester Cathedral. England’s largest cathedral. An illustrated exhibition about Jane Austen who is is buried in the aisle. See the 12c Winchester Bible.
- Wilton House Lots for all the family and also the nearby Shopping Village.
Within 20 miles of Monxton
- Paulton Park (Peppa Pig World)
- Furzey Gardens (in Minstead) are beautiful gardens owned a run by a charitable trust that trains young people with learning difficulties.
- The New Forest if you want to learn the vocabulary of woodlands, click here!
- Silbury Hill
- The Historic Dockyard in Portsmouth This is a fabulous day out for all the family with loads to see and do.
- RN Submarine Museum is in Gosport over the harbour from Portsmouth.
- Longleat nr Warminster – superb safari park, stately home and other attractions
Fancy a Walk?
- See the Monxton & Amport footpath map here
- The Test Way Inkpen up on The Plain down to Eling by Southampton Water. 44 miles.
- The Clarendon Way 24 Miles from Winchester to Salisbury (passing close by us for lunch?)
- The Avon Valley Path 34 glorious miles from Salisbury to Christchurch through Hampshire, Wiltshire & Dorset.
- The New Forest Plenty of walks and hikes.