Summary of reported rural crime in north and east Hampshire
Burglaries to non-dwelling premises are, again, the most reported incidents in the rural areas of north and east Hampshire. These incidents have been reported across the north of the county, but the areas that have seen most of these offences are the rural areas around Basingstoke, Andover and Winchester. Power tools have mainly been targeted together with off-road vehicles. In addition there has been an increase in thefts from stables including horse tack and rugs.
Telephone scams continue to be a problem. Hampshire Trading Standards Service publish information on these, including prize wins, tax rebates and loan scams. For further advice or to report a scam contact:
Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 08454 04 05 06.
Advice from the Police for Christmas
PCSO David Trowbridge and the Stockbridge/Andover Rural Safer Neighbourhoods Team offer the following tips for Christmas:
- Don’t leave Christmas presents under the tree in view of a window
- Make sure windows and doors are locked every time you leave the house
- Avoid leaving tools and ladders lying around that could assist someone to get into your home
- When you go out at night make it appear that someone is home. Draw the curtains and leave a light on. Always use a timer switch to put on a lamp or radio.
- Before you leave your car, ensure all windows and doors are closed and locked
- Avoid leaving your purchases and presents in your vehicle. If you must, make sure they are not on display. Rather store them in the boot and make sure the car is locked
- Always lock your bike. Use a D lock and make the locked bike difficult to manoeuvre by keep any gaps between the lock and bike frame small.
- When online shopping ensure you go to the official websites and have adequate anti-virus software, especially when purchasing expensive items.
- Never leave a bag unattended in a trolley, even if for a couple of seconds
- Keep wallets in an inside pocket and bags closed
and out of sight from potential pick-pockets
- Keep your PIN number confidential and when entering your PIN number at a terminal ensure no one can see you enter it.
- If you are buying or receiving valuable gifts such as bikes, mobiles or electrical items register them for free at www.immobilise.com. In doing so you will assist the police in returning your property should it be lost or stolen.
Have a Happy, Safe and Secure Christmas!