Superfast Broadband is HERE!!!

Finally, although with absolutely no fanfare whatsoever from BT et al, we have SUPERFAST BROADBAND in Monxton.

Whilst we were aware of the cabinet upgrade (in Monxton and at the Abbotts Ann exchange) and associated works, there has been no official announcement. However, at least 4 households in Monxton have now successfully signed up for Superfast Broadband – apparently with speeds available of (up to) 76mbps! We’re not sure how much of Monxton and the surrounding area will have access though.

broadband

So please check with your provider if you can upgrade, or click the link above – and join the 21st century!

Enjoy!

This entry was posted in News.

14 comments on “Superfast Broadband is HERE!!!

1. Lois Allender says:

Aren’t you the lucky ones? Up here in Grateley we’re still in single figures. Do you know when Superfast is going to be extended westwards?

Lois Allender

• Hi Lois, Well we’re currently in single figures and we had been told that we weren’t get any upgrades until after 2018, so yes, we’re lucky. However, there has been no announcement and it’s all thanks to some vigilant and patient villagers who have been keeping an eye on things. Click the link in the article and it should tell you how things are progressing in your area.

2. T Gant says:

Take this with a pinch of salt. According to BT they have no limit left to supply other than basic broadband into the village. Make your own enquiries for sure as I may well have misunderstood them. I can think of some more choice and earthy ways to sum up the current predicament, but they would be unsuitable for this message board. If anyone has managed to successfully upgrade, please do let us know.

3. T Gant says:

Perhaps take this with a pinch of salt. According to BT they have no limit left to supply other than basic broadband into the village. Make your own enquiries for sure as I may well have misunderstood them. I can think of some more choice and earthy ways to sum up the current predicament, but they would be unsuitable for this message board. If anyone has managed to successfully upgrade, please do let us know.

4. Adrian Drage says:

I have just (25 Oct) booked my Infinity 1 package with no problem at all; delivery within a week. So, although I am a BT customer, it would appear that there is capacity.

• Good luck with that Adrian! I booked my upgrade on 27 September. The new hub roiter arrived within a week. I was promised that Infinity would start on Oct 7th, then 10th, then 12th. No joy. Then I would be called and given an update on 18th October. None of that happened. I called BT again for the nth time on Monday 24th October, to be told that no-one in Monxton would get Infinity before 25th November. Has anyone else got superfast broadband yet??

• Adrian Drgae says:

Having had an interim call with BT on 10th Nov – the date by which I was promised my Infinity 1 connection – they have come clean today (25 Nov) and admitted that there is no connection to the green box on the village green. The problem seems to be getting the cabling from the Abotts Ann Road across, or rather under, the High Street at Fourways Cross. By inference the problem seems to be heavy (lorry) traffic. I have encourage BT to come clean and tell us all of this and to formally tell the MPC; but I don’t think that they will. The next (formal) update is not due until Friday 02 Dec and this may well just tell us of further delay. Fortunately I am not being billed for Infinity – yet!

• T Gant says:

Well, at least you guys still have some wired internet! We have been cut off by BT / EE since 11 October. The version of events I have been told is that it is a problem with the DSLAM cards at the exchange. BT were supposed to be replacing the faulty cards this week. EE has told me the the connection from the exchange to the box on the green is good, as is the connection to our house. I honestly don’t know what to believe anymore. (PS – i have no idea what a DSLAM card is!!)

5. T Gant says:

Having been cut off from a landline based internet service by BT since 11-October, I have at least found you can get a passable 4G internet service in the village. With a better external antennae, it would be superb, i reckon. The upsides are that it does not require a landline and is already quicker than BT’s basic wired service. The downside is that SIM only contracts with unlimited data are few and far between and any that do exist try to prevent themselves being used in a dongle or router. Frankly though BT should be ashamed of themselves for the poor level of service they are providing and almost worse than that is their refusal to provide public clarity on their plans (or otherwise) to remedy the situation. I think once 5G and/or stronger 4G signals become the norm, folk will at least have other options and BT some decent competition.

• Adrian Drage says:

Just had my latest call to BT. I was due an update today (02 Dec) but it did not come. It appears that cabling work to the green box on the village green has not been completed!! It is now scheduled to be completed by 12 Dec, and I am due a call from BT on 13 Dec. BT admitted to me that none of us should have been sold the upgrade without the product being available. As to a DSLAM card this is something that increases capacity in the exchange. All-in-all a very sorry tale.

• Thanks for the update Adrian. Sad news indeed and BT should be apologising profusely to everyone who has been misled. It can’t be just Monxton either. There must be other communities across the country who have suffered the same experiences. Is compensation likely or due?

6. Adrian Drage says:

Latest email update from BT states that I will be connected to Infinity 1 on 03 Jan 17! I presume that others still waiting will, or should, have received similar notification.

Have your say...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s