Monxton Parish Council Clerk/RFO (Responsible Financial Officer)
From 1st November 2018, there is a vacancy for a Clerk and RFO to Monxton Parish Council. This is a part-time job and the applicant should be local to Monxton, with the hours and salary being negotiable. Applicants should have experience as a parish clerk and financial officer with a CILCA- Certificate in local council administration.
Applications to be made in writing to Cllr Mike Cleugh, Chairman, Monxton Parish Council – firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Description – Clerk
- Attend quarterly meetings of the Council, including the AGM.
- Issue notices and prepare agendas and minutes for the AGM and other meetings of the parish.
- Be responsible for the preparation and circulation of relevant working papers for meetings and the publication of draft minutes for approval by the Council.
- Receive and manage correspondence and documents on behalf of the Council, bringing such items to the attention of the Council and to issue correspondence in accordance with legislation.
- Prepare, in consultation with a designated Council Member, press releases relating to the activities and decisions of the Council.
- To ensure that statutory and other provisions affecting the running of the Council are observed.
- Ensure that there are adequate procedures for the archiving, storage and retrieval of documents for statutory purposes and public inspection.
- Obtaining quotes for insurance and other services and relevant grant details that are available to the parish.
- To ensure that the Council’s obligations for risk assessment and management are met.
- Keep Notice Board up to date with details of notices including Elections and By-elections
Job Description – RFO (Responsible Financial Officer)
The overall responsibilities are for the maintenance of the proper financial records of the Council and for the prudent management and administration of its funds and finances.
- To maintain an adequate system of bookkeeping so as to define the current income and expenditure of the Council, and the Council’s assets and liabilities.
- To reconcile the balances held by the Council, shown by the books of account and by bank statements
- To maintain cover and records for the payment of staff remuneration, including administration of Income Tax and National Insurance, and preparation of all year-end returns and statements required by HMRC.
- To maintain appropriate records relating to VAT, and to make proper Returns to and/or reclaims of VAT from Customs and Excise.
- To prepare annual accounts for approval by the Council.
- To meet the Council’s statutory obligations for annual internal and external audit of the Council’s accounts.
- To prepare draft annual Budget and Precept proposals for consideration and approval by the Council and to facilitate the adoption of agreed Budgets and Precepts by 31st January in each year.
- To maintain records for future movements of funds in relation to the setting by the Council of future Budgets and Precepts.
- To receive and report on invoices for goods and services to be paid for by the Council and to ensure such accounts are paid.
- To issue invoices on behalf of the Council for goods and services provided by the Council, and to ensure that payment is received.