Another timely reminder from the Police. There have been a few burglaries already this month in Test Valley north (the dwelling burglaries have been in Andover, but non-dwelling burglaries tend to be in the rural areas). So it pays to be prudent please.
- Check your insurance documents for any specific security requirements or upgrades.
- Ensure side gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of the property.
- Ensure rear fencing is in good repair.
- Lock all windows and doors, remembering to double lock UPVC doors (lift handle and turn key)
- Keep all keys out of reach and sight from the letterbox (remember a device could be used to hook keys through letterbox).
- Do not leave ladders and garden tools in your garden, lock them away in your shed.
- Improve natural surveillance at the front of your property i.e. trim high hedges.
- Consider fitting security lighting and a burglar alarm.
- Mark your property with postcode and house number and register your property for free with www.immobilise.com
- Make use of timer switches to make the property appear occupied.
- Get a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your property.
- Consider joining or forming a Neighbourhood Watch scheme.
- Remove valuables from view of ground floor windows.
- Store any high value items (i.e. jewellery, passports) in a properly secured safe or bank vault.
Who to call?
If the burglary is taking place when you call then it’s 999. If it’s happened and there are no suspicious persons on the scene then call 101.