- Pull over at the next safe place.
- Call the Police. They will deal with road safety issues and have access to a specialist who will know the best course of action for the animal if it is alive.
IF YOU HIT A DEER WHILE DRIVING, YOUR PRIORITIES, IN
THIS ORDER, ARE:
- Keep yourself and anyone with you as safe as you can.
- Park your car in the safest place with hazard lights on.
- Consider using it to also warn other road users.
- Call an ambulance if human injuries warrant it.
- Call the Police.
Usually it is best:
- Not to approach live deer. Doing so may cause them to run across traffic causing another accident.
- Not to move or handle live deer, you may be injured if they struggle.
- Not to try to keep the deer warm. Covering its head/eyes may keep it calmer if there is a long wait but see “approach live deer” above.